Why would anyone want a concealed carry (CCW) permit?

Basically, so that you may legally concealed carry a pistol for self-defense of your home and property .

Why would someone want to get a non-resident CCW permit such as Utah?

The Utah permit is one of the most widely accepted making it among the most sought after in the country! It allows you to conceal carry in more states than your NY permit alone. Defend yourself and your family in more states while travelling for work or vacation. The required class also teaches handgun safety/use and concealed carry laws. So you will be better equipped to defend against violent crime. To see what states you can conceal carry look at the map below.


How is it possible to get a Utah CCW permit without being a resident of either state?

Many states (including UT) offer non-resident permits to people outside of their states. This allows non-residents to take advantage of the reciprocity that Utah has negotiated with other states.

Why Valor Training Group?

We offer a full service class room experience that is unmatched!  We provide fingerprinting, passport photo, Utah CCP booklet, *ALL* necessary paperwork and instruction at class time – even a 9×12 envelope to mail application!

If I get a non-resident Utah CCW permit do I need to have a resident CCW permit?

No, For NY residents it is not necessary to have a NY CCW permit.  The class and paperwork are good for a year so you could have plenty of time after the class to get your resident permit and send a copy of it with your Utah application.

What do I need to do to get a Utah CCW permit?

You must meet eligibility requirements, have your resident concealed carry permit when you apply, and complete a Utah Concealed Carry Permit class taught by a Utah BCI and NRA certified instructor.

What will I receive in the class?

At the end of our class you will have all of the paper work you need, including the application to the state of Utah, fingerprinting and permit photo and finally an addressed envelope. We cover it all and help you fill out the forms right in class before you leave

How much does it cost?

Cost of class is typically $80.00 for Utah permit.  Depending on venue/location it may be increased a small amount, look at the class details for the location you wish to attend for specific prices. (Preregistration and payment made prior to class. No payment will be accepted at the class).

State fees: Paid separately within 1 year of the class.

Utah Permit Fee is $49 for first five years.  Subsequent renewals are just $15 for five years.  You do not need this fee the night of class but will mail this with your application to Utah.

What is required to obtain a Utah concealed carry firearm permit?

  • Complete a Utah state class taught by an instructor who is certified by the Utah Bureau of Identification
  • Pass an FBI background check
  • Submit a completed application to the state of Utah. We assist all students in preparation for their permit application
  • Submit copy of driver’s license or any government issued form of photo ID
  • Passport sized photo
  • Set of fingerprints on fingerprint card
  • In most cases, a copy of your home state concealed carry permit. The following are states in which Utah does not require a CCP: CT, MA, MD, ME, NY, NJ, NH, SC, RI, VT
  • An application fee sent to the state of Utah for $51 for non-Utah resident

What do I need to bring to class with me?

    • A government issued photo ID and your payment

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility Requirements

  •  Must be 21 years of age or older;
  • Must not have been convicted of a felony;
  •        Must not have been convicted of a crime of violence;
  •          Must not have been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol;
  •          Must not have been convicted of an offense involving the unlawful use of narcotics or controlled substance;
  •          Must not have been convicted of an offense involving moral turpitude;
  •          Must not have been convicted of a crime involving domestic violence;
  •          Must not have been adjudicated mentally incompetent by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed;
  •          Must not have been involved in incidents using unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
  •          Must not be currently subjected to a court sanctioned protective order;
  •          Must not have been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces;
  •          Must not be illegally or unlawfully in the United States as an alien;
  •          Must not have renounced citizenship having once been a citizen of the United States.
  • Note: You will be able to get a permit if the incident was not a felony and took place more than: 3 years ago for class C, 4 years for class B, and 5 years for class A misdemeanors. Include a letter of explanation and any paperwork about the incident with your application.